Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2007 19:16:57 -0500
From:      Jonathan Horne <freebsd@dfwlp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Hostname Question - Whats The Proper Way

On Wednesday 29 August 2007 19:05:06 Peter Pluta wrote:
> I have a box with 5 ip's pointing to it. Most of the things I run (http,
> smtp) are virtual or allow me to specify the hostname (postfix) - so I'm
> wondering what the machines hostname should be? By default it's
> localhost.localdomain. This has always confused me from the begining when I
> first started using FreeBSD, can anyone chime in? It would greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

its fairly simple actually.  example:

my system's name is athena.  my domain, is dfwlp.com... thus my computer is
athena.dfwlp.com.  the hostname command can show you waht your current
hostname is:

[jhorne@athena ~] $ hostname
athena.dfwlp.com

also, there is a line in /etc/rc.conf that specifys the system's hostname when
you start up:

[jhorne@athena ~] $ cat /etc/rc.conf|grep hostname
hostname="athena.dfwlp.com"

finally, when you are installing freebsd, during the "network configuration"
page, the "Host:" box would be where i would put "athena", and the "Domain:"
box would be where i put "dfwlp.com" (when you set your domain, you dont put
the . in front of the domain name, ie, dont put .dfwlp.com in the domain
box).

cheers,
--
Jonathan Horne