Date:      02 Nov 1999 10:53:33 +0100
From:      Bjoern Groenvall <bg@sics.se>
To:        Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>, Issei Suzuki <issei@issei.org>, security@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OpenSSH patches

Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org> writes:

> What is the export deal on ebones/Kerberos?  Ebones is exportable, but I
> don't remember a) whether it had to be reviewed/approved, and b) whether
> or not it actually had direct crypto hooks.

The "hooks" in Bones where rather innocent looking calls to bzero and
bcopy. It was necessary to inspect every bzero/bcopy call before
putting the calls to DES back. Eric Young put the DES calls back and
changed the name to eBones.

To the best of my knowledge MIT did not have Bones reviewed/approved
for export (and it was probably not necessary either). Many years
later somebody at Cygnus got an approval that it was ok to export the
Ebones sources.

/Björn

--
Bjorn Gronvall (Björn Grönvall)                        /_______________/|