Date:      Sat, 29 Mar 2008 19:17:10 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        koitsu@freebsd.org
Cc:        jhary@unsane.co.uk, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Panic with usb serial

In message: <20080329222049.GA80263@eos.sc1.parodius.com>
            Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org> writes:
: On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 10:11:04PM +0000, Vince wrote:
: > 	Is it expected that removing a usb serial adapter while you have a
: > connection (eg tip) using it will panic a -stable system? I know it is
: > expected if you remove a mounted umass device so wanted to see if its known
: > behavior for serial before I file a pr. (adapter is <FTDI usb serial
: > converter, class 0/0, rev 1.10/4.00, addr 3>)
: > -stable version as of the 25th march, (may have existed before but the
: > first time I forgot to close tip before removing the device was on this
: > version.)
:
: I would expect that the problem is identical in the sense that with a
: connection established, you have an open file descriptor which is
: associated with a serial device that uses USB.
:
: So, yes, I would expect this behaviour based on the track record.
: Should it happen?  The answer is no.  File a PR?
:
: Also, I'd like to know what USB serial adapter you're using (brand,
: model, and a website of it if possible), for unrelated reasons.  Thanks!

That's odd, because I use an FTDI based serial device all the time for
hacking on embedded systems.  The problem that I have is 100% CPU
usage on a tip process until I kill it.

Warner