Date:      Wed, 24 Feb 1999 17:23:45 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        guitargod <leon1@gte.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: freebsd 3.0 or 2.2.8

[Format recovered at freebie.lemis.com]

On Tuesday, 23 February 1999 at 22:37:18 -0800, guitargod wrote:
> hello Greg! I just want to know which is the newer version of this 2
> freeBSD releases: 3.0 or 2.2.8.

2.2.8.

> I bought your book and it comes with 3.0 and I thought that it was
> newer than 2.2.8 version.  Am I right?

Unfortunately, no.

> version 3.0 was released in november 98 and 2.2.8 was released in
> December. I asked this because I saw four books(complete freebsd),
> and they come with 2.2.8 and 3.0.  I chose 3.0.  Did I choose the
> latest version?

The latest version is 3.1.  3.0 was a "first cut" at version 3.  Since
you have it, there's no reason to go "back" to 2.2.8.

You should send questions like this to the mailing list
FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org; you'll also find it interesting to read
the mail there, since it will give you a much better feeling for
what's going on.  Send a message to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with the
text "subscribe FreeBSD-questions".

Greg