Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2006 19:39:49 -0700
From:      Chris <snagit@cbpratt.prohosting.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Prevent process in disk wait

On Oct 12, 2006, at 6:32 PM, Olivier Nicole wrote:

>> While installing the Ruby port on a 6.1-Release system (uname -a
>> 37788  p0  DL+   39:43.11 ./ruby18 ./bin/rdoc --all --ri --op
>> /usr/local/share/ri/1.8/system .
>>
>> The system is an old Pentium 5 with a standard IDE drive. Is there a
>
> I got hit bit that a couple of times too.
>
> For some reason, Ruby at some stage tries to browse the complete hard
> disk in order to find things like libraries.
>
> At least that's what I guessed.
>
> Anser was: get a better/newer hardware.

Yes, I wasn't clear in trying to answer the original post. Inadequate
memory
that led to swapping seemed to be the source of that port being a
slow upgrade.
I thought that might explain the problem described.

With the methods as described in the previous post, perhaps one could
get by with
antiquated hardware though for testing purposes and playing.