Date:      Sat, 11 Apr 1998 12:03:54 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        alk@pobox.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where is the FreeBSD Mozilla CVS server?

> > Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 15:04:55 -0600
> > From: Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
>
> > Sure, but you can't use the Sun sources to develop a Java VM, even with
> > the JRE.
>
> You mean, not for redistribution without a license from Sun.
> I'm pretty sure this is being worked on.
>
> > But, developing a new Java VM inside of netscape if you have access to
> > Sun's sources using the 'educational' licensing is strictly prohibited,
> > no mater how good your intentions are.
>
> I strongly disagree with this unqualified statement.  Who prohibits
> it?  What text of the license?  If you don't use the Sun code, the
> license does not in any way constrain you from working on any kind
> of new code.

Nate intentions are to help keep us honest in the eye of the outside world.
My interpretation of his message is: Hey Bud, you better check with Sun before
engaging in any such exercise . To be honest , he is right , the last thing
I wish to be is a political target example. "You see what can happen to you
if you do ..." I am not saying that Sun will act in such a matter rather that
any attempt to bring back Java to Mozilla should be done with caution.

	Regards,
	Amancio