Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2001 09:16:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipnat vs natd and ipf vs ipfw (fwd)

>Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 22:54:20 -0500
>From: Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>

>At 07:20 PM 1/27/2001 -0500, Espen Oyslebo wrote:
>>Currently, I have ipfw and natd doing their job fairly well. Is there any
>>point in switching (yeah,yeah, don't fix it if it ain't broken).

>Actually, I have found ipnat to be *much* faster for my home DSL
>connection.  My gateway is a lowly Pentium 133 and I can only get full rate
>net throughput use ipnat. natd is about 33% slower than ipnat for my setup
>on PPPoE.

Curious.  My home firewall is (still) running FreeBSD 3.2-R; and it's a
P-120 with 16 MB memory... yet I was able to FTP a good-sized (>1 MB)
file from ftp.freebsd.org at >150 FB/s.  And I'm using ipfw & natd.

So far, I have been unable to attribute any degradation of the link to
the firewall, except when its disk drive crashed.

(My firewall box also does the external view of DNS for the outside
world, as well as slave DNS for a handful of other domains, and
sendmail.)

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill      dhw@whistle.com   UNIX System Administrator
Desk: 650/577-7158   TIE: 8/499-7158   Cell: 650/759-0823