Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 12:47:24 -0400
From:      "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.2-STABLE panic #17 (NFS -- additional informatio)

Ok, now that I have hopefully gotten the criticial people's attention, I
will proceed with the details:

1: My test program can only reproduce this with NFSv3/UDP from a recently
patched Solaris system to a FreeBSD server.  I have not tested older
Solaris patches, I suspect that they will not cause the panic.

2: Recent packet traces of the NFS traffic reveals that it is likely *NOT*
unlink that is causing the problem.  I now have 6 packet traces and all fail
within a couple of packets of the NFS server responding to a create request
with "ERROR: File exists" (that is TCPDUMP terminoligy).  Looking through
the create call, I think I can see it, but it is tough.

2a: only ever *one* "ERROR: File exists" has ever been seen per a single crash.

3: Based on #1 and #2 I can surmise that other OSs will eventually trip this,
but the access pattern is sufficiently different that my test program will not
do it.

4: It is not a concurancy issue as far as I can tell.  I wrapped all of
nfssrv_create() (or whatever it is called) in a spl_softclock(), splx() pairing
and I could still cause the panic.

5: I tried compiling with "MAX_PERF" which in effect comments out the panic,
this caused all access to the directory to result in (D)iskwait, with WCHAN of
"inode".  Effectively bringing the NFS server down, but without the advantage
of having the machine come back by itself.

I am still digging arround, but this is significantly above my head.  It is
great fun, and I wouldn't mind continuing except this is becoming a difficult
issue.  We have backed everything down to NFSv2, but existing mounts are
difficult to get rid of.

--
David Cross                               | email: crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Systems Administrator/Research Programmer | Web: http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~crossd