Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 16:20:40 +0200 (EET)
From:      Dimitri <thdimi@telehorizon.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        keramida@ceid.upatras.gr
Subject:   greek support (once again)..

I don't know how well-supported is the rest of the 'exotic' languages but trying
to provide freebsd (kde) with some basic greek functionality turns up to be a
miserable quest.

I have installed some greek fonts (from the linux 'graphis' project) and they
seem to work for my netscape.. to my satisfaction, i can now read web-pages
written in greek.

But what about XEmacs? When I go to Options->Font, the greek fonts are in grey
(unavailable).. StarOffice doesn't even bother to show them in its
fonts-listing.

but... why?

And what about KDE (which i do like very much btw)..?
The KDE Control Center is provided with the very hopefull options
Desktop->Languages and InputDevices->InternationalKeybord..

But the cruel reality is that when i go to Desktop->Languages and set Greek (el)
as a second language and click on "Apply" i get the message "Changed language
settings apply only to newly started applications. To change the language of all
programs, you will have to logout first." and thus the change is not applied (no
matter if you do "logout first").

All of the same, when i go to InputDevices->InternationalKeybord and go so far
as to actually add "El1 Language: Greek. Charset: iso8859-7. Hellenic Keyboard
(Latin-1 keysyms corresponding to ISO8859-7 indexes)" i see no difference, i get
no language indication (and of course the "switch" key-combination doesn't do
anything)..

Ok..ok.. maybe some other utility you'd suggest. Indeed, it was some months ago
that Giorgos Keramydas in this very list, suggested GRkbd-1.3.2. I've downloaded
it and installed it and it appears to work.. I'm now able of switching my
keyboard to greek but what's the use of it when my editors (like i've already
mentioned) won't use the installed, greek fonts..? I only get gibberish (a very
common sight to a greek user) like: μεγάλος μπελάς ρε αδερφέ..

It may be that i'm missing the obvious and still it may be that the obvious is
not obvious at all. Computers are english speaking and that's ok but one should
be able of using his native language without much effort..

Any suggestion is welcome..
I'm using freebsd 4.2 and kde 1.1.2

thanks,
dimitri

ps> M$'s greek support is fine and easy and i think that will always be a great
drawback for the average greek user to ever quit M$ for unix..