Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:33:31 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Peter Losher <Peter_Losher@isc.org>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Issues w/ gzip for > 2GB files?

Hi -

We have some large (mainly tcpdump) files that we have on a amd64
(5.2.1-p4) system, to which we have been trying to compress w/ gzip.
Compressing the files works just fine, but the resulting archives seem to
be corrupted because when you gunzip them:

-=-
# gunzip raw-pkts1.gz

gunzip: raw-pkts1.gz: invalid compressed data--format violated
-=-

(raw-pkts1 is a 4.3GB file uncompressed)

This is with both 1.2.4 (part of FreeBSD) and 1.3.5 (from ports).
Compressing/Decompressing the same file on a i386 system causes no issues.
Suffice to say this is broken.  Has anyone else experianced this?

-Peter
--
Peter_Losher@isc.org | ISC | OpenPGP 0xE8048D08 | "The bits must flow"