Date:      Mon, 20 Jun 2005 02:29:46 -0500
From:      "Jim C. Nasby" <decibel@decibel.org>
To:        Greg Barniskis <nalists@scls.lib.wi.us>
Cc:        uzi@bmby.com, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD MySQL still WAY slower than Linux

On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 10:30:25AM -0500, Greg Barniskis wrote:
> I think he meant comparing 36,000 on CentOS (async) to 24,000 on
> CURRENT (sync). I wondered that myself, and having searched out the
> answer I find that it is declared in
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/configtuning-disk.html
>
> that async provides fast writes at the cost of "no guarantee at all
> for a consistent state of the filesystem". So, you choose: fast but
> not so reliable writes, or slower writes with fast, reliable
> disaster recovery.
>
> Thanks to the FreeBSD team for choosing the sensible default, even
> if it results in the occasional "Linux is faster!" debate. Dang
> smirky penguins... you're flightless I tell ya, flightless. =)

Note that it's very easy to accidentally configure MySQL in such a
manner that you don't have any data integrity anyway. For example, if
you fat-finger 'innodb' as 'innodd' or something MySQL siletly creates a
MyISAM table for you. So if you care about data integrity, you should
probably look beyond MySQL in the first place.