Date:      Tue, 2 Jan 2001 15:49:10 +0100
From:      "Rune Mossige" <r.mossige@sensewave.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ASUS A7V and promise problems

I just bought myself a Christmas present, a new ASUS A7V, Amd Athlon 750,
onboard Promise, and 2 x IBM-DTLA-30745 45GB ATA100 disks.

In order to install FreeBSD 4.2, I also installed an older 540MB IDE disk.

FreeBSD 4.2 was CVSUP'ed and buildworld/installworld done on 31. December
2000.

FreeBSD boots fine, and finds the promise and disks. But, whenever  try to
access the disks, the box freeze solid after 2-4 seconds....a hard reset is
required.

New BIOS are also installed (1005a) with no luck. I have also reduced all
relevant speed settings in the bios, with no luck.

The disks are connected with brand new ATA100 cables.

There is a working fan on the CPU, and I do not think it is too hot. The
BIOS reports MB at 33C and CPU at 41C. Both disks are primary on their own
Promise channel.

Is there anyone who have some hints as to what might be wrong? I have
rebuilt the kernel (GENERIC) and enabled debug. Everything else is left as
defaults. But, there is no core, no debug, nothing. Just solid freeze.