Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 18:19:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
To:        scott@computeralt.com (Scott I. Remick)
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD advocacy

Scott I. Remic wrote:

> Linux is getting a TON of front-page publicity and support lately.  And
> so... where's FreeBSD in all this?  Some of Linux's advertised weaknesses
> ("It's good, but...") are FreeBSD's strengths.  The articles would read a
> lot differently if it were FreeBSD being talked about instead, and imagine
> if FreeBSD started getting all that publicity...

Agreed.  However we haven't yet got critical mass.
Linux has lots of different CD vendors, distributions and partisons.
We've got the best -- the FreeBSD crew, Walnut Creek and a great set
of mailing lists, support folk on the net that KNOW UNIX.
However, Linux has an evangelical bunch of GNUites that are pushing
hard for their "GPL'd everything" mindset.  There's also Caldera and
Red Hat offering "PAID SUPPORT" which counts in the business market.
(Read that as someone to blame, sue and fight if something does not work
as advertised).

We just need ONE vendor (Netscape, Real Networks, Oracle, Informix,
Bru, Sybase, TriTeal, Lotus, IBM, Corel) to put FreeBSD up
into the "officially supported release" category and we move up the
notch into the REAL Competition.

I would love to see a supported CDE for FreeBSD.  A Wabi would be great.
I wonder if Caldera ever made back the investment with Sun... I've got
Moo-tiff.  That's about all that I found for FreeBSD two years ago.
BTW -- it's selling cheap at InfoMagic since the Linux one seems to be
the only supported Moo-tiff version.

> For example, Michael Vizard says "The only things Linux still lacks are a
> sophisticated set of installation routines and the support from a large
> service organization."  Well, FreeBSD has an EXCELLENT installation routine
> imho, and has a much better organized team, support and beyond.

Geez.  I cursed the Red Hat 5.0 install last week.  I've been loading Linux
since SLS and I hadn't seen a Linux install I prefer to sysinstall.
The last BSD installation that didn't work out of the box on my hardware
was 2.0.

> I think FreeBSD's PR team needs to send some emails, make some calls, and
> start kicking some major butt ;)
>
> (I don't subscribe to these lists (I get too many others already) but I'd
> appreciated if responses were cc:'ed to me so I could follow.  Thanks!)

I've been waiting to see just one name vendor go FreeBSD.
I really think a common binary and installer for Free/Net/OpenBSD might
work if we could unify enough to get this done in the name of commercial
apps.  We'd have to lock down this format to NOT change, though.

Bill