Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:05:29 -0200
From:      Alexandre Vasconcelos <alexandre@abdv.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ServRAID 5i and DLT

Hello All,

I've searched for this on google and list archives without success..
I have on IBM xSeries 235, ServRAID 5i adapter, 3 disks on channel 0 and
a Benchmark DLT tape on channel 1. The adapter bios shows one logical
drive and one "other" (probably the tape). I've installed FreeBSD 5.3,
the GENERIC kernel can see this adapter (ips), dmesg | grep ips shows:

[root@barracuda kernel]# dmesg | grep ips
ips0: <IBM ServeRAID Adapter> mem 0xf4000000-0xf7ffffff irq 22 at device
3.0 on pci5
ips0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
ppc0: Generic chipset (NIBBLE-only) in COMPATIBLE mode
ips0: adapter type: ServeRAID 5i II (sarasota)
ips0: logical drives: 1
ips0: Logical Drive 0: RAID5 sectors: 286744576, state OK
ipsd0: <Logical Drive> on ips0
ipsd0: Logical Drive  (140012MB)
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ipsd0s1a

But it don't recognize any tapes, there's no "nsa?" output on dmesg, but
a bios utility from ibm (pc doctor) shows Benchmark on the second
channel. I've made some tests with Red Hat AS3 and it shows Benchmark
while booting.. IBM identifies this unit as 40/80 GB HH DLTVS Internal
Tape Drive.

The adapter utility don't show any special configuration.. I have
another server with one HP DLT unit that is recognized as BENCHMARK on
FreeBSD 4.10, so I don't think this is a tape type problem.. does
FreeBSD support this tape on this adapter? I don't want to run Linux on
this server :(

Thanks in advance,
Alexandre Vasconcelos