Date:      Sat, 15 Nov 1997 09:33:42 -0500
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@seidata.com>
To:        bicknell@ufp.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AHC / SCSI Problem?

Leo Bicknell wrote:

>         We've been having some problems here with FreeBSD,
> Adaptec 2940's, and various disk drives.  I think we're
<snip>
> I do find it interesting that it happens on the Micropolis
> 4221 disks.  Perhaps there is something "special" about them.

I would like to hear feedback relating to Adaptec's 2940
controller and Micropolis drives myself...  What is the
status?  Are there still any bug(s) being worked out?  We're
running a dual Pentium Pro 200 with an Adaptec 2940 and two
4221s.  Some time ago, we tried the 3.0 SMP kernel and had a
serious problem...  random reboots.  This is a primary DNS
box and we've since reverted back to 2.2.5-STABLE for a key
feature - reliability. ;)

>         I have a theory myself that turning on TAGENABLE and
> SCBPAGING_ENABLE might actually help this situation, but
> I'm not going to try it unless an expert thinks this is a
> good idea as well.  These are both production machines, so
> experimenting is a problem, but if we have some good leads
> we can do some work to track this down.

TAGENABLE was definately recommended to us (I think it may
have even been a BSD team member?), and possibly
SCBPAGIN_ENABLE.  The powers that be, however, decieded to
revert to STABLE until "all SMP problems are ironed out", so
we never gave it a try.  I've heard that the problems we
were encountering have been fixed, but I'd like to be
selfish and see if someone else running the same setup gets
lucky before I give it a go again. <g>

---
 Mike Hoskins
 SEI Data Network Services, Inc.