Date:      Sun, 29 May 2005 14:06:53 +0200
From:      dick hoogendijk <dick@nagual.st>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Seagate HD not detected by FreeBSD

On Sun, 29 May 2005 13:49:21 +0200 (CEST)
Svein Halvor Halvorsen wrote:

> * Ted Mittelstaedt [2005-05-29 00:05 -0700]
> >  Wrong.  Each IDE cable can have 2 devices a master and a slave.  So
> >  if  you have 2 IDE controllers you can have master, slave, master,
> >  slave  for a total of 4 drives.
> >
> >  It is not master on ide cable 1, slave on ide cable 2.
>

> There's nothing wrong with having a primary master and a secondary
> slave,  just as much as there is nothing wrong with the setup you
> proposes.

Having a slave without a master won't work! There has to be a master on
an IDE cable. I have never seen it work otherwise. What is the point of
setting the device to a slave device if it's the only device on the
cable anyhow?

--
dick -- http://nagual.st/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ Running FreeBSD 4.11 ++ FreeBSD 5.4