Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 2013 03:00:48 +1000
From:      Andy Farkas <andyf@andyit.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        jdc@koitsu.org
Subject:   FreeBSD history

On 16/06/13 20:30, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
 > * Output from: strings /boot/kernel/kernel | egrep ^option Thanks.

I stumbled across this one about a week ago:

  strings /boot/kernel/kernel | head -1

and was wondering about the history of where it came from / what it means.

I can see it was added to Makefile.i386 in September 1998 but the commit
comment mentions the defunct alpha port and searching SVN for things in
the Attic is a PITA.

Also, according to
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=1 FreeBSD is 20
years old!

Is not a celebration / announcement warranted?

-andyf