Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 11:23:39 -0600 (CST)
From:      Bruce Albrecht <Bruce.Albrecht@Fingerhut.com>
To:        dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling C. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISA EtherExpress Pro/100 supported?

dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling C. Smørgrav ) writes:
 > Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no> writes:
 > > On Sun, Nov 08, 1998 at 09:57:48PM -0600, Bruce Albrecht wrote:
 > > > The fxp driver is located in sys/pci/if_fxp.c, which is why I asked
 > > > this question.  The card in question is ISA, not PCI, and I didn't see
 > > > anything is sys/i386/isa that referenced the Intel 82557 chipset.  If,
 > > > as I suspect, the driver for the PCI card is incapable of driving the
 > > > ISA card, I'm interested in pointers for modifying another ISA network
 > > > driver to support this card, like "if_ZZZ.c is an archetypical ISA
 > > > network driver, start with it, but look at the if_fxp driver too".  To
 > > > me, that sounds more like a topic for freebsd-net, not -questions.
 > > Check the if_ie.c driver, which is a driver for an ISA Intel
 > > Etherexpress.  I don't know if it is for the _right_ ISA Intel
 > > Etherexpress, though.
 >
 > No. The undocumented ex driver may have a chance of working, but the
 > ie driver only supports some very old 10 Mbps EtherExpress cards.
 >
 > It would help if Bruce told us what chipset his adapter uses.

It uses the National Semiconductor DP83800.  Unfortunately, the only
documentation I've found for it so far is a NS app-note, but no
datasheet.  I'm beginning to think that it might be hard to get enough
information about this, because National is giving me the run-around
about it being a custom part and Intel's support newsgroup says that
there's no SDK, either.