Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 1999 11:19:45 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
Cc:        Joe Bo <ibjoe@home.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: is this an attack?

Christopher Michaels wrote:

> Also, since you have tcp_wrappers installed take a look at 'man 5
> hosts_access' and 'man 5 hosts_options'.
>
> Both are well documented, and unlike the ipfw solution (which is a good
> one), tcp_wrappers does log attempted connections.

Ipfw *can* log, and all my deny rules do. (With the exception of 65535
0 0 deny ip from any to any, but that cannot be reached because of the
earlier 02700 0 0 deny log ip from any to any.)

$ man ipfw

[...]

     If the kernel was compiled with IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE, then when a packet
     matches a rule with the log keyword a message will be printed on the con-
     sole.  If the kernel was compiled with the IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT op-
     tion, then logging will cease after the number of packets specified by
     the option are received for that particular chain entry.  Logging may
     then be re-enabled by clearing the packet counter for that entry.

--
Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk |   key available from keyservers and