Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 17:58:32 -0600
From:      Lute Mullenix <lute@willinet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   No X as user.

Ok, here's what I can give you. I have an IBM NetVista A20i, and it has
Intel i810 on-board graphics, and I am running X 4.0.3 on it. The version
of the handbook that came on the CD didn't cover the /dev/agpgart
problem, but I was directed to the newer one at FreeBSD.Org, and was
able to get that part hammered out, and X will now run as root, however
when I try 'startx' as a normal user it crashes with an error:

xauth: (argv):1: bad display name "lute.willinet.net:0" in "add" command

Fatal server error:
Cannot open log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log"

So as you can see, the info that's needed is not being logged because
it's not opening the file, when I look there all that's in it is the log
from the last root session.

Any help would be most appreciated. I have set X up on a few Linux boxes
in the past, but this is the first time I've ever had a problem starting
it as a normal user, and I'm at a loss

--
Lute
...on the other hand, you have five fingers...