Date:      Thu, 06 Dec 2007 14:10:12 -0500
From:      Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Freebsd filesystem ( hard reboot )

Randy Ramsdell wrote:

> I think I will just set the rc.conf variable to answer "Y" to fsck
> questions unless there is a better way.
> A side note, this system has been hard shutdown two times and each time
> required intervention. We also use several Linux system ( reiserfs and
> ext3 ) and raely do I have to interact with the systems on reboot. There
> is a differnce and I am in the fisrt stages trying to understand this.

Might want to be careful with the always answering "Y" thing,
though...or at least make sure you have periodic backups ready to go in
case the repair further loses data in the process.

Is there an area that seems to be needing repairs in particular?  Maybe
you could find a way to move it to another drive so the system will come
up more reliably and then other processes can remotely check the
unmountable drive and remount it and start your process monitoring.

> PS. I am confused about why so many people are replying to the list and
> my personal e-mail. This one was sent to me only. Others were sent to me
> and the list. Actually, every other reply. Is this normal for the list
> as I am new as of today?

If looks like if you hit reply all, both addresses are inserted (the
list isn't stripping the personal one out).  Unless the replier removes
the personal address or the reply function on their mail client is only
using a primary address (of the list) to send to, you'll get replies on
both...depending on the issue some people prefer getting a response
personally faster than waiting for the list to send it if for some
reason it's bogging down :-)