Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 01:27:43 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IM server?

* Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org> [001127 23:54] wrote:

> This really isn't a (directly) FBSD-related question, but since I'm trying
> to get everyone at work off MS products over to FBSD workstations, I
> figure it's appropriate enough to ask here...  :)
>
> The new guy who came in to start running the company is big on sending
> documents back and forth via email, shared electronic scheduling,
> etc.  One of his wishes is to get ICQ, AIM, or some other instant
> messaging capability between employees.  Due to the nature of our
> business, we really can't connect to the "normal" ICQ (etc.) servers on
> the public network.  (Legal reasons, and upper management doesn't want our
> employees chatting with their friends during work time.)
>
> So...
>
> Anyone know of a program out there that can act as a central server for
> ICQ?  (I know there's some AIM clones out there, but I'd rather avoid that
> one...)  A quick look in ports and some digging around on Google and
> Freshmeat didn't return much.

You might want to look at installing an irc server, most clients
can transfer files back and forth and there's a lot less clicking
involved, just type a line and everyone sees it (you can also send
private messages and files).

And on fridays you can break out the beer and use MS Comic Chat,
it's a laugh riot. :)