Date:      Mon, 8 Oct 2001 10:40:45 +0200
From:      "Claudiu Balogh" <claudiu.balogh@xnet.ro>
To:        "Brock Kreiser" <root63@earthlink.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re:

Hi,

It seems to me that XFree86 3.3.6 isn't capable of handling some newer
nVidia cards correctly... I have had exactly the same problem with my
GeForce 256, so I upgraded my X to ver. 4.*. XFree86 ver.4+ is changed in
structure compared to previous versions. It's more modularized and has
support for many newer cards (allegedly the nv4 driver, that I am using with
my card, supports everything through GeForce3, as I remember reading the
documentation for it). Upgrading to XFree86 is very simple, just follow the
readme files and that's all. Everything went perfectly and I am now able to
use my card with whatever resolution I please to. Maybe it's not the best
solution, but it seems to be the simplest. I experiment a lot with FreeBSD,
so I reinstall it very often. I never had a problem with upgrading to the
latest version of XFree86. Maybe there are problems but I didn't notice any.
So jump on the XFree86 ftp site and get the newest version.

Hope this helps,
Claus.

P.S. Question: why isn't the latest XFree86 included in FreeBSD 4.4 ? I know
this question should go to freebsd-questions, but since this problem has
come up here I thought I might just ask it.