Date:      Thu, 24 Feb 2000 10:07:16 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        msmith@FreeBSD.ORG (Mike Smith), yds@dppl.com (Yarema), FreeBSD-Current@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Current), sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: After last ATAPI update system doesn't boot if modules loaded by /boot/loader.

> It seems Mike Smith wrote:
> > > Forgive me if I'm beating a dead horse... I'm still having the foll=
owing
> > > problem if I load any modules from /boot/loader.conf:
> > =

> > I've reproduced this here, and narrowed it down to Soren's ATA megaco=
mmit =

> > on the 18th.  Unfortunately, the newbus patches (tested) and the othe=
r =

> > gunk (untested) ended up lumped in together, and I'm not having a lot=
 of =

> > luck working out what exactly might be causing this.
> =

> That megapatch was only newbus patches and cosmetics around that, one
> new item was cmd646 support but that is hardly the problem here.

You didn't mention the 0xa5 test, and I forgot to tell you that I backed =

it out as well (no change).

> > Soren - this is somewhat of a showstopper.  Can you reproduce it ther=
e?
> =

> Nope, I've tried several machines here, no problems, even with tons
> of modules..

Try a network interface module, if you haven't already.  I was loading =

if_wi.

> The only thing I can come up with is that _something_ makes the
> delayed probe be called _before_ interrupts are up and running.
> That will make it fail like this. Quuestion is is something
> else messing with those hooks ?

That's possible; it may be that the kernel linker is calling something =

before you expect it to be called.

Also, I note that you've only partially newbussed the code; I don't see =

any busspace/busdma stuff in there.  Is there another megapatch coming?

-- =