Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 2013 19:09:56 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        Grant Peel <gpeel@thenetnow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gpart

On 31 March 2013, at 18:28, Grant Peel <gpeel@thenetnow.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>=20
> I am in the midst of setting up the framework for new servers using =
FreeBSD
> 9.1. I used the bsdinstall and Manual`` option when setting up the =
disk
> geometry using GPT - graphical setup.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> The idea will be to eventually dump the 4 file systems, (/, /usr /var =
and
> /home) and restore them on other servers when the time comes.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> I am reading everything there is about GPT at this point as I have =
never
> used it before. It seems gpart is the tool to use.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> I have done several test runs setting the drive geometry using this as =
> guide:
>=20
>=20
>=20
> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/disksetup.html
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Which worked well. But as yet I do not have dumps to test with.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> I was wondering in anyone sees any issues creating the drive geometry =
using
> this method, with the intent of restoring dumped filesystems to to,
> including the root filesystem.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> I am yet to use 9.1 to do so, so any tips would be appreciated.

I just finished doing exactly that.  Worked fine.  I installed 9.1 on a =
drive and it had boot problems.  Apparently the drive was previously a =
part of a raid and graid would get involved during boot and wait and =
wait and wait.  To get rid of that, I formatted another drive using =
gpart and then used dump-restore to move the data from the first drive =
to the second.  The new drive is now the master drive for the system.  =
The original drive has been returned to a spare drive pool. The new =
drive boots fine and just works.  I did a complete zero of the drive =
before starting the partitioning though as I have no way of knowing if =
that drive was previously in a raid array.