Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 23:08:50 -0500
From:      "Marty Leisner" <leisner@rochester.rr.com>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <axl@iafrica.com>
Cc:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: btokup().. patch to STYLE(9) (fwd)

> On Fri, 29 Jan 1999 00:55:21 EST, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
>
> > Everybody's goal is to keep/make code readable (accusations of "trying
> > to obfuscate" are silly). You, people, are just not agreeing what
> > "readable" means. Hoping to aid in the ending of this thread(s),
>
> Thank you very much. This is _exactly_ the point here.
>
> As far as I see it, there are a lot of people who are saying
>
> "I want to use parens to improve readability"
>
> when what they really mean is
>
> "I want to use parens to obviate the need to learn operator precedence."
>
> I can't imagine how unnecessary parens are going to improve
> "readability" for anyone who knows his/her operator precedence. What
> it does is allow folks who aren't sure about what they're doing to get
> around doing things properly.
>
> Ciao,
> Sheldon.

If you use paranthesis, you don't have to memorize the operator precedence.

People are not compilers, unnecessary parenthesis/braces is usally a good
idea where there could be some confusion.

In our work place we have a policy of extra braces around single line
ifs...the idea is people often add lines in maintaince, and forget to
add the braces...I think its a good argument for maintability...

Marty Leisner