Date:      Sun, 17 Jan 1999 21:29:19 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        lcremean@tidalwave.net
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with new IDE's & -current

Lee Cremeans wrote:

> > The machine is a dual P90 (running SMP) - I get the problems even with a
> > single CPU kernel... It's running Neptune chipset (quite old) - and only
> > has 1 IDE channel.
>
> I would say that this has something to do with the DMA support, but since
> Neptune's IDE controller isn't DMA capable and PCI, that doesn't follow.
> Chances are that there's a not-quite-bad spot on your drive -- does it
> always seem to happen in the same place on the disk?

Nope, it's more 'load' oriented than 'spot' oriented (i.e. the harder you push
them - the more of the above you get)... Both drives are brand new out the box
(for what it's worth), so I doub't they're 'bad'... DMA is disabled in the
kernel config as well, and the dmesg shows no hints of either multi-block or
DMA transfers...

Thinking that way I've tried another cable since (brand new out the bag -
again 'for what it's worth') - and that has the same symptoms... So does
running only 1 drive on the bus... :-(

> <soapbox>
> I have no love lost for Neptune boards; we have two of them at work,
> and it's like trying to work with a 486 board with an OverDrive chip on it.
> I'm also wary of Intel boards in general, since they tend to think they're
> smarter than you.
> </soapbox>

True, my second Pentium board was Neptune based (Plato-90?), and it had it's
fare share of problems - but to be honest we've had no problems with these
ones - their all in AST Premmia GX's - which are the backbone of our business
systems at the moment... They work fine, except for this one (which is the
only one using IDE).

-Kp