Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 2000 17:47:10 +0000
From:      rob <europax@home.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CFLAGS -O, if I am running a 686, does it automatically target my  cpu?

Mike Meyer wrote:

> rob writes:
> > I am curious about whether make automatically tells gcc to optimize to
> > my machine's cpu, a 686, or does it optimize to a 386?  Reading though
> > the manuals, I can see that gcc can target a 686 or any other cpu, but I
> > have no idea what happens when I use make to compile my system or a
> > port.   Rob.
>
> I vaguely recall that it optimizes for the *family*. However, the
> interesting part is found in the -mcpu documentation:
>
>         the  compiler  will  not
>         generate  any  code  that  does not run on the i386
>         without the -march=cpu type option being used.
>
> So you're going to be running 386 instructions on your machine unless
> you set add a -march flag to the compile.
>
> On FreeBSD, you can set these in /etc/make.conf. Use CFLAGS for ports
> and other userland code, and COPTFLAGS for the kernel.
>
>         <mike

Mike,  thanks for the info.  I thought about this after I did make
world. Dohh! I wonder if optimizing for a 686 would have made any
noticable difference anyway.

I am going to try an interesting experiment and see if the -march=cpu
option gives me a better mpg123 program.  The mp3 performance that I
have now is kind of marginal, but that may be due wholly to shared
interupts on this laptop.  Rob.