Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 2002 14:13:35 -0500
From:      zjoe@sundsu1.deltast.edu
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jon <juostaus@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: Need help with software to run my APC UPS

I'm keeping the freebsd-questions on these emails
in case someone needs to know this stuff, too.  :)

At 04:03 PM 7/15/02 -0700, you wrote:
>--- zjoe@sundsu1.deltast.edu wrote:
>>
>> >did you comment out
>> >
>> >#ttyd0  "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off
>> secure
>> >or
>> >#ttyd0  "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off
>> secure
>> > in /etc/ttys? this was my problem.
>>
>> Tried this and it didn't work.
>>
>> This is where I stand now:
>>
>> 1.  Two computers each with a APC Back-UPS Pro 650
>> and cable
>> attached (one has a 940-0095A and the other has a
>> 940-0095B).
>>
>> 2.  One computer runs FreeBSD4.6 and the other runs
>> FreeBSD4.4
>>
>> 3.  *Neither* computer will work with "bkpupsd" or
>> "apcupsd"
>> from the ports collection.
>>
>> A)  type:     bkpupsd /dev/cuaa0
>>     result:   on one computer it starts the daemon,
>> but won't perform
>>               when power plug is pulled,
>>               on the other computer it starts the
>> daemon, but immediately
>>               annouces the power has failed and
>> shuts down
>>
>> B)  type:     apcupsd start
>>     result:   one computer hangs, the other
>> complains it can't communicate
>>               with UPS.
>>
>> Note:  A guy on the apcupsd mail-list has the same
>> exact UPS+cable
>> and runs FreeBSD4.6 and sent me his "apcupsd.conf"
>> file.  I had
>> the same result with it.
>>
>> 4.  Tried installing "upsd" from the ports
>> collection on one computer
>> and the computer hung on booting -- isn't this one
>> needed for NUT to work?
>> (Also installed NUT, BTW.)
>>
>> 5.  Totally baffled at this point.
>>
>> According to apcupsd.com, one possible source of
>> error in a
>> situation like this one is:
>>
>> "Chosen serial port has logins enabled. You must
>> disable logins on that
>> port, otherwise, the system prevents apcupsd from
>> using it. Normally, the
>> file /etc/inittab specifies the ports for which a
>> getty process is started.
>> You must disable getty for the port which you wish
>> to use."
>>
>> I'm not sure I disabled logins for the device
>> correctly.
>> Not sure what to do now.
>>
>> Important note:  Several years ago one of these UPSs
>> worked with
>> "bkpupsd" with the exact same hardware -- but after
>> I upgraded that very
>> old version of FreeBSD it won't work.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> :)
>>

>the first suggestion i sent was to to make the changes
>to /etc/tty that should disable logins via serial ;)

Yeah, this didn't seem to change anything.

>are the ports enabled in the bios? cuaa0 (serial 1 )
>should be port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4.

I checked and one computer had serial 1 disabled.
So, obviously this is a problem.  I tried to change it
to enabled but then I had some kind of conflict.
I don't really know about this stuff.

The other computer has:

serial port 1     3F8/IRQ4
serial port 2     2F8/IRQ3

Thanks,
Joe B.

   Dr. Joseph A. Bentley
   Professor of Chemistry
   Dept. of Physical Sciences        Phone: (662) 846-4482
   P.O. Box 3255-DSU                 FAX:   (662) 846-4486
   Delta State University            E-mail: jbentley@dsu.deltast.edu
   Cleveland, MS  38733              E-mail: zjoe@sundsu1.deltast.edu

        "It is not enough to succeed.  Others must fail."

                                    -- Gore Vidal