Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2002 15:50:20 +0000
From:      ian j hart <ianjhart@ntlworld.com>
To:        Yann Ramin <atrus@atrustrivalie.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bug ? Building kernel/world error on Cyrix

Yann Ramin wrote:

> Thats the official name of the Cyrix, although they were far from being
> actual 686 CPUs. The clock speed reported is also correct. Cyrix rated
> them with a PR rating which, unlike the Athlon XP ratings, was overly
> optimistic. Your "200MHz" is a 200PR CPU, which did run at 166MHz, but
> had the performance of maybe a 133 Pentium (I had a 166PR, which ran at
> 133, until it self destructed). I would try changing CPUTYPE to i586 or
> i486.

That is most unfair. I have a Cyrix 6x86 PR166. When I was
given a P200 (P54C) my build times went from 6hrs to 5.5.
So the Cyrix clocked at 133 wasn't to shabby, was it?
[Yes, I know there are other factors.]

IIRC it was about a third of the price too.

If your chip died, your fan wasn't good enough.

> All of this doesn't explain the perl related error you're seeing though
> :) Try recvsuping.
>
> Yann
>
> Guilherme Oliveira wrote:
>
> >Hi !
> >
> >I'm having serious problems building kernel or world in my Cyrix 200MHZ.
> >
> >Booting '4.5-RELEASE #0' it detects my processor as being Cyrix 6x86MX
> >(167.05-MHz 686-class CPU), that I think it's wrong ('6x86' ?!?!) and
> >maybe this is the origin for all my problems.
> >
> >I've cvsup'd and builded freebsd all the time without problem until +-
> >4.5 RELEASE.
> >I've tried building GENERIC with the same result.
> >
> >I have tried building world+kernel with 'CPUTYPE=i686' in make.conf and
> >'cpu I686_CPU' (as allways did) in kernel but it gives me error in:

ian j hart