Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 20:16:27 -0700
From:      Vincent Rodriguez <atgrim@thevine.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to install... (It's a newbie thing...) ;)

I wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped me a gave advice on how to
resolve my issue. I was the individual who couldn't get FBSD 2.2.2
installed after a month
and a half. :-(   I was finally able to get it installed and was even
able ( after a couple minor setbacks) get XFree86 configured. I had to
use /stand/sysinstall. For a newbie like myself, it seemed the easiest
way.

I did, however, determine that, contrary to all the advice I was given,
Booteasy _did not_ give a full options menu at reboot. What I mean is
that, I was told that when I reboot after the installation, that I would

see a menu similar to what is below...

F1...DOS
F2...BSD
F3...<etc>

I think that maybe I had been unclear in expressing what it was I was
doing. I have 3 hd's. Win95 is on the first, FreeBSD is on the second,
and currently the third is a second DOS partition (although I will
shortly be installing WinNT on it). Every time that I would complete the

installation, all I would see is F1...Win95. I was stumped. I tried
other keys and nothing seemed to work. After much frustration and yet
another installation, I just finally started going through all the
function keys. Low and behold when I reached F5, I received a new
option...

F1...BSD

When I hit F1 this time I was greeted with my system being probed and
all sorts of gobble-de-goop showing up on the screen!! I was and am
ecstatic!! 8^D  (Now I get to learn how to move around). I tried to
confirm my discovery with all the
various sources of information and could not. Is this how it is supposed

to work or is it just a fluke?? I have since purposely killed FBSD
numerous times and reinstalled trying different options and receive the
same boot selection process.

Also, one more question. I feel silly about having to ask it, however, I

have not been able to find clear instructions on how to install
programs(e.g. Netscape 3 in the ports collection).

During the installation process, I selected the 'Full Install' option.
As far as I know I have all that I need to get started. I just don't
know how to load any of the ports or distributions or packages. Could
someone point me in the right direction?? I am sorry to bother y'all
with this
newbie question.

Much thanks for the assist,

Vince Rodriguez

UN*X Newbie Extraordinare 8^)

--
It is not whether or not you die, we all die eventually.
It is, in fact, how you have lived, that will make the difference.