Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 1999 19:38:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jaime Kikpole <jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com>
To:        Andriss <andriss@andriss.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI drive mirroring question

On Mon, 13 Sep 1999, Andriss wrote:
> Is that the right way to do this? What I want to get is a complete
> mirror copy. I need to make sure that the boot info is getting copied,
> and the filesystem slices are getting copied right.. In other words,
> if the first drive fails, I want to be able to simply take it out,
> switch the SCSI id of the second drive, boot the box and be ready to
> go...

	I've never used it myself, but I think that you might want to look
into ccd and/or vinum.  Also, if you can afford hardware based RAID
systems, they're really great.  I was testing one out earlier today, in
fact.  Just to be certain that it worked correctly, I removed drive 3 (of
4 drives) while the system was booted and I was logged on.  The machine
didn't even crash.  It just kept running, though it did make a noise to
indicate that a drive went bad.  Really cheap mirroring-only RAID system
tend to cost about $1200-$1400 for a two disk system.  If you don't want
to buy one, look at ccd or vinum.  One of those might provide real-time
mirroring.

						Jaime