Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 2015 03:56:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jeffrey Bouquet" <jbtakk@iherebuywisely.com>
To:        "M&S - Krasznai AndrĂ¡s" <Krasznai.Andras@mands.hu>
Cc:        "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: freebsd-current compile with clang & ccache [tacking on an idea]

On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 10:31:37 +0100, M&S - Krasznai Andr=C3=A1s <Krasznai.An=
dras@mands.hu> wrote:

> Good morning!
>=20
> I experience the following errors:
>=20
>=20
> after setting up ccache according to the howto I tried to compile world a=
nd kernel.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> make buildworld
>=20
>=20
>=20
> runs correctly, takes appr. 3 hours to finish for the first run. Repeatin=
g it finishes in a little less than 1 hour.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Make -j5 buildworld
>=20
>=20
>=20
> also finishes correctly and takes about 23 minutes.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> After finishing the kernel compile
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Make installkernel
>=20
> Reboot
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Then
>=20
>=20
>=20
> make installworld
>=20
>=20
>=20
> gives a lot of error messages:
>=20
>=20
>=20
> ccache: error: Could not find compiler "cc" in PATH
>=20
>=20
>=20
> but finishes, and the system appears to be working, but I think there mus=
t be some problem what I could not find.
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Compilation and installation finishes correctly if i do not use ccache bu=
t rather slow.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> The system has been reinstalled from scratch, source tree was downloaded =
on Friday and updated few minutes before compile on Monday.
>=20
> The kernel config is a stripped down GENERAL (I left out those drivers an=
d kernel modules which handle hardware not present in my laptop).
>=20
> I use src.conf to eliminate compiling such components which I do not use =
(BLUETOOTH, IPX/SPX, etc). COMPILER_TYPE is set in my .cshrc to clang.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> What can I do to eliminate the ccache error during installworld apart fro=
m not using ccache?
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Best regards
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Andr=C3=A1s Krasznai
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20

[sorry if duplicate, keyboard error... tab key or something with the webmai=
l]

Having experienced similar errors during single user mode installword, I was
wondering if a FLAG or --switch could be added to "make installworld" so th=
at
all the $cc >> actual binary [precheck] and all the expected directories th=
at are destinations
exist and are not files [precheck] , and optionally even a trial-run-instal=
l-to-elsewhere "check
for such errors" pre-install runthough, like "-n" in other cli [binaries].

OR a section in UPDATING with a proven [iow, tested on
several and many ... mfsBSD... DESTDIR... cdr... etc ] procedure to accompl=
ish the same...

The lack of which is precluding upgrading very often now, as opposed to oth=
er years,=20
since CURRENT...=20=