Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 14:27:22 -0400
From:      "Gail M. Pickett" <gmpicket@icx.net>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@mail.hiwaay.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE:  Macintosh access to FreeBSD over TCP/IP ??

At 12:43 PM 4/12/00 -0500, you wrote:
>> So, I see my choices for building a custom kernel:
>>
>> 1.  Package (binary) upgrade from 3.3 to 3.4 by downloading the bin, man,
>> boot floppies, and src/ssys (kernel source) and installing.
>
>I suspect there isn't anything super special about the supportting
>binaries that you can't use a 3.4-stable kernel with a 3.3-RELEASE.

I had wondered that myself.  Could I download the /src/ssys stuff from 3.4
Stable and use /stand/sysinstall to install on the file server, then build
the custom kernel?

>If you'd like a 3.4-stable GENERIC + NETATALK kernel I'll build one
>for you and email it to you.

I would appreciate that.

>Heck, I could do 3.3-RELEASE too. Its
>not hard once you have a local copy of the CVS repository. But if
>we are going to do something like that then we really should strip
>out the stuff you don't use from the kernel.

Does that make much difference to the machine after boot?  I thought
stripping everything unnecessary out of the kernel just shortened boot
time.  If your serious, I will send you a list of the file server's
hardware.

>> 2.  Use another machine running 3.3 Release (which is available) to CVSup,
>> build and install world, build the custom kernel there, and then port the
>> kernel (via floppy) to my file server.  Would this actually work?
>
>Are the two machines in question on the same network or reachable via
>ethernet?

No.  One machine is the file server at work, the other is my desktop
computer at home.  Both have FBSD 3.3 Release, but they have different
hardware and uses.  The desktop at home has internet access (thru ISP) and
I did CVSup (3-Rel tag), but haven't gotten brave enough to build/install
world - not really desperate, either.

At work, the file server (an old 486 that has been rebuilt) has been file
serving for MS Windows machines nicely, but the office recently added an
iMac and it needs file server access.

>If so you could export /usr/src via NFS and use it on the
>server machine as if it were local. Might want to build the kernel first
>on the machine with hte sources, then simply "make install" on the other.
>
>Big hitch in the above is in exporting you have to allow root as root.
>Not a good thing to do permanently with a server.

What?

>Oh, also should export/mount /usr/obj if you "make buildworld" on the
>NFS server and wish to use that work on the other.
>
>> 4.  It is possible to manually configure the kernel for hardware at boot
>> time, why isn't it possible to manually configure the kernel for other
>> stuff at boot time, i.e. add the netatalk support?  That it doesn't "stick"
>> and has to be done each boot is no big deal as the file server stays on
>> 24x7.
>
>The boot time config should stick across reboots.

Doesn't.

>Seems there was a
>little issue that kernel.conf had to be created first, and where it
>was to be, and what its permissions were.
>
>With a statically built kernel if you were to put everything in it
>then it would be huger than it already is. Kernel modules help with
>the dynamic configuration. It appears to me a Solaris kernel is
>totally linked at boot time. One day FreeBSD might also. But in
>the meantime Jordan has to draw the line somewhere, so NETATALK
>is left out of GENERIC. For fun see *everthing* in the LINT kernel.

Would be nice if sound were included in the GENERIC kernel.  :)