Date:      Sat, 7 Mar 1998 02:33:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        ccsanady@iastate.edu
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Soft updates inconsistencies...

Chris Csanady said:

> I recently built a new kernel with the latest soft updates code, and
> rebooted.  When I went to rm -rf /usr/obj/usr, It spontaneously
> rebooted (after a while.)  It came up, fsck fixed it (after 1000's
> of lines of fixes,) and then booted.  The thing is.. this happens
> when you try to cd to the /usr/obj/usr:

The soft-updates guys are about ready to commit the code.  Also, it
will still likely be unstable (only when enabled) for about 2wks more
or so.  It will also need some testing/regression testing for more bug
feedback.  The stuff is complex, but will be pretty cool when ready for
production!!!

My guesstimate is that by about the 1st of April softupdates will be
really great.