Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 2002 11:32:24 +1000
From:      "Leigh V" <leighv@roq.com>
To:        "Jake Burkholder" <jake@locore.ca>
Cc:        <freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sun Netra X1 success, almost

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jake Burkholder" <jake@locore.ca>
To: "Leigh V" <leighv@roq.com>
Cc: <freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 1:33 AM

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=6418+0+archive/2002/freebsd-spa

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=33066+0+archive/2002/freebsd-sp
> > arc/20020804.freebsd-sparc
> >
> > I pulled out the HD of the Netra X1 and put it into a sunblade 100
machine I
> > have. with the idea of installing and setting it up from CD from that
and
> > putting it back into the Netra X1
> > I got it to boot from CD but only seems to work properly in single user
mode
> > and booting it with -C to mount the cdrom and the root filesystem
> > boot -sC
> > but once I get to the shell its extremely slow and sometimes have to hit
> > key twice for it to go through to the machine.
> > I did disklabel -w -r ad0 auto
> > on the shell and the CDROM started up and just stayed spinning, I left
it
> > for over 30mins but nothing happened, so I thought I would try putting
the
> > CDROM in the second IDE port of the Netra X1.
> > I set the cdrom to master and put it in the second IDE port of the Netra
X1

http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/relnotes/CURRENT/installation-sparc64.html

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=disklabel&sektion=8&manpath=FreeBSD
> > +5.0-current
> > They just have examples of doing "disklabel -e devicename" and just say
"add
> > them here" like its some super easy thing that doesn't deserve an
example.
> > Well I say it does :) Can some one give me an example?
> >
> > All I want is a disklabel example for root "/" and swap, and maybe
"/usr" I
> > like to have the least amount of partitions possible because they always
end
> > up being a pain in the ass other wise, I never use any of that read only
> > partition crap and I don't recon having separate partitions has
noticeable
> > performance benefits if it does I wanna see some benchmarks, or does it
make
> > it easier to manage in terms of file system checks?,
>
> Look at an example from another machine (ie disklabel ad0 on an x86 box).
> The sizes are in sectors (512 bytes/sector).  Be sure to make the sizes
> a multiple of the sectors/cylinder listed in the disklabel on the sparc
> (sectors/cylinder: xxxx).  You can put * for the offset and disklabel will
> calculate it.
>
> FYI the davicom ethernet in the netra x1 is not supported so you'll have
> no network.
If that is the case, how was I able to net boot into the kernel?
And I noticed that OpenBSD and NetBSD have support for the davicom ethernet,
will freebsd ever have it?
I installed solaris 9 on it because I had enough of trying to put an open
source OS on the Netra X1.