Date:      Mon, 9 May 2005 13:27:19 +0200
From:      Oliver Brandmueller <ob@e-Gitt.NET>
To:        Gavin Atkinson <gavin.atkinson@ury.york.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nss_ldap / top startup

Hi Gavin,

sorry, took some time to test it, but we're currently very busy moving
services to the new machines.

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 08:06:38PM +0100, Gavin Atkinson wrote:
> Sorry - even with that patch, I suspect you'll have to either run top with
> the -u option, or define RANDOM_PW before recompiling it.  If you can, try
> both individually, I'd be interested in your finding.

Your patch is just fine, even without defining RANDOM_PW!

I would suggest you file an PR with the patch, it could be like that:

--- CUT HERE ---
#ifndef TOP_NO_NAMELEN
	while ((pw = getpwent()) != NULL) {
		if (strlen(pw->pw_name) > namelength)
			namelength = strlen(pw->pw_name);
	}
#else
	namelength = 15;
#endif
--- CUT HERE ---

In the Makefile there should be something like that:

--- CUT HERE ---
.if defined(TOP_NO_NAMELEN)
CFLAGS+= -DTOP_NO_NAMELEN
.endif
--- CUT HERE ---

If you don't want to file a PR, I would like to ask for permission to
put the changes into a patch and file the PR, I guess there are more
people having lot's of users - and always reading them all and counting
the namelength seems to be eating resources unnecessarily, at leats on
systems with some 10k users.

Thank you,

		Oliver

--
| Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
| Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | WWW:   http://the.addict.de/ |