Date:      Tue, 15 Apr 2003 15:15:55 +0100
From:      Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bootup Problem 4.8-Stable

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 02:59:41PM +0100, Daniel Bye wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 09:36:55AM -0400, John Straiton wrote:
> > I have a machine that was working fine but then upon reboot one day it
> > failed to come up on it's own. I tinkered a little bit and then finally
> > just settled on trying a make world/kernel. Upon retrying it this
> > morning I see this right after it detected the CDRom drive (same error
> > as before):
> >
> > Apr 15 13:26:28 init: login_getclass: unknown class 'daemon'
> > /etc/rc: Can't open /etc/rc: No such file or directory
> > Apr 15 13:26:28 init: /etc/spwd.db: No such file or directory
> > Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
> >
> > Then I just
> > #/sbin/mount /dev/da0s1f /etc
> > #/sbin/mount -a
> > #exit
> >
> > And we're back up and running.
> >
> > Ideas? I couldn't find an example of this question actually being
> > answered (tho' it's been brought up before) in the list yet. The only
> > one that seemed answered involved someone who had put /etc on another
> > drive but as you can see:
> >
> > /dev/da0s1a                291M   105M   162M    39%    /
> > /dev/da0s1f                7.1G    26M   6.5G     0%    /etc
> >
> > Same drive.
>
> But, significantly, different partition...

Sorry, sent that without any real thought.

To get this far, the bootloader has managed to mount the root file system.
In order for the system to come up the rest of the way, certain things must
be located on the root partition, including /etc - without it, init is not
able to call /etc/rc, which in turn means that /etc/fstab, all your
/etc/rc.* scripts etc are not available.  The login_getclass error above
occurs because init cannot find /etc/login.conf.

So, your root file system should include /etc, /bin, /sbin, /dev, so that
things like /sbin/mount, and all your devices etc are available to complete
the startup procedure.

init will quite happily call /etc/rc once you have manually mounted all your
local file systems, because it can now find everything it needs.

If you have previously managed to get it running like this in the past, I am
sure I don't know how ;-)

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3D73 AF47 D448 C5CA 88B4 0DCF 849C 1C33 3C48 2CDC
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \