Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 1995 06:09:29 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Peter da Silva <peter@bonkers.taronga.com>
To:        hsu@freefall.cdrom.com (Jeffrey Hsu)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: automatic login

> Since my console is physically secure, I would like to have my machine
> come up and login me in automatically.  Any suggestions on how to
> accomplish this?

Change the entry in "ttys" for "ttyv0" from "/usr/libexec/getty Pc" (or
whatever it is) to something else. I haven't set this up for FreeBSD
before, but "/usr/bin/su - your-login-name" should work. We use various
alternate versions of this to have our UNIX-based electric utility control
system start up automatically when we boot. Typically we have a script like:

if timeout 10 "Hit return for maintainance login: "
then exec /home/cust/startup
else exec /etc/getty console /dev/console ...
fi

in there. For Sun we had to write a C program that set all sorts of nasty
terminal modes and process groups and stuff. OSF/1^H^H^H^H^HDigitalUNIX
just needs a script.