Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 00:48:35 -0800
From:      Michael Collette <metrol@earthlink.net>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Ports vs. Source updating

Howdy,

  Recently a friend of mine just got a FreeBSD box installed and running at
home.  I've been doing the usual helping him out with how to get around the
system, use cvsup, install ports, and all that.  It was getting late, so we
didn't get to far into it.
  Tomorrow I'm going to be working with him again, and now I'm starting to
get concerned about whether or not I can have him cvsup the ports tree or
not.  He's still way too early into the game to be running through a build
world to get things up to stable, but I do want to get the latest tree down
so he can pull the latest versions of applications.
  The reason I'm concerned about this is that recently I tried a couple of
ports myself which spit back that I didn't have a current enough version
running to install.  Mozilla and StarOffice namely.  I went ahead and did the
whole buildworld process which allowed these ports to work.  I really don't
want to walk a newbie through this same path this early into showing him
around.

Specific Questions...
  Can I have him update his ports tree without bringing the system up to
stable?
  If I don't update the ports tree, how many of those old ports are going to
just not work due to old version numbers coming off FTP servers?
  If I can't update the ports without doing a build world, why didn't this
wait for the next major release?

  Anyhow, I'm just hoping that someone can help clarify this for me so I can
make introducing FreeBSD to a new user as painless as possible.

Thanks,
--
Maintain thine air speed lest the ground come up and smite thee.