Date:      Sun, 13 Oct 1996 02:19:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      wb2oyc@cyberenet.net
To:        (David E. O'Brien) <obrien@Nuxi.cs.ucdavis.edu>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD - Linux

David,

   For the rest of the list, David sent me private email on this problem
I've been having with minicom in particular.  He started me down a path
that at least permits me to avoid the problem, and kudos to him for that.
I appreciate most of the replies I did receive on this issue, even those
that were off target.  The dialog is important for other reasons as well
of course.  Anyway, here's the rundown for those that are at all
interested.  There's a problem somewhere, but from what I've heard and
seen with this, I haven't the foggiest idea where it might be....

   David suggested that I try twm, and see what occured with that wm.  Well,
I did, and found minicom runs perfectly in an xterm using twm.  However, only
if the default shell for my account is csh or tcsh.  I didn't try sh.  In
investigating this course, I also discovered that if I logged in as root,
running minicom in an xterm works properly.  This led me to trying various
shells for my user account.  I prefer bash, since that is the shell I got
accustomed to under Linux. However, it appears the problem I have been seeing
with minicom in an rxvt may stem from using that shell.  Using csh, minicom
works properly in either an xterm or rxvt window.  One difference noted in
this variation is that the TERM variable is set as 'xterm' when using either
csh or tcsh, but when using bash, and opening either an xterm or rxvt results
in TERM set to cons25.  In this case, setting (and exporting) TERM to xterm
before running minicom makes no difference.  It still fails.  If the default
shell is csh, opening an xterm or rxvt results in TERM being set to xterm.

   I have not checked out all permutations and combinations of this, since
thanks to David's help, I can now avoid the problem.

Paul

E-Mail: wb2oyc@cyberenet.net
Date: 10/13/96
Time: 01:47:43