Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 2003 13:22:40 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        Alan.Robinson@fujitsu-siemens.com, ia64@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems installing on HP zx6000

Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 10:17:19AM -0800, Peter Wemm wrote:

> > Meanwhile, you can get the source that we use on the HP boxes using a
> > special cvsup collection of "p4-cvs-ia64", which is *only* on
> > cvsup10.freebsd.org.  It will check out in a subdir of projects/ia64/*, so
> > put it somewhere out of the way and set up some symlinks or something.
> > You should be able to cross build that without too much drama.  You should
> > only need the kernel parts in order to get things to boot and install.
>
> A note of warning: we currently assume we can do whatever we want
> with this branch, including breaking it beyond repair. If more
> people add the branch to the cvsup collections then clearly the
> exposure makes it impossible for us to treat it as a private
> resource. Not a problem per se, but please speak up if you add
> the collection to the cvsup collection list so that we can keep
> that in mind when we start working on new things...

It is also worth mentioning that this branch is explicitly not expected to
compile on any other platform.  While we do take care for things that we
intend to merge, but sometimes we just get out the Big Hammer to solve a
problem while working on something.  It is effectively the "too
experimental to go in FreeBSD-current" branch and should be treated that way.
But for now it is the only real option that you have if you want to run
FreeBSD on it.

> I plan to have an ISO somewhere in the next week or so just to
> make it easier for people to get started...

This would be a good thing I think.

Cheers,
-Peter