Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 2003 22:37:42 -0500
From:      Josh Tolbert <hemi@just.puresimplicity.net>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unusual sound problems

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 11:38:19PM +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Josh Tolbert <hemi@just.puresimplicity.net> wrote:
>
> > 	I'm having an unusual and annoying problem with my Alpha. The machine
> > is a PC164LX, 533MHz 21164A, 1G RAM (4x Crucial CT32M72S4D7E), [...]
> > Sound comes from an SB Vibra16 in the ISA slot closest to the PCI
> > slots. I think my problem involves the sound card.
>
> I have a PC164 with an ISA Vibra16C, 5-CURRENT.  I haven't tried
> anything really stressful (e.g. fullduplex use for telephony), but
> normal sound playback works just fine.  Any stuttering is clearly
> related to competing CPU or disk usage.  I'm usually playing sound
> through esd, which probably doesn't help.
>
> All local disk is on SCSI, sym(4).
>
> --
> Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          naddy@mips.inka.de

Hi guys,

	Update time...After moving the sound card to the slot closest
to the PCI slots, sound works fine. I previously stated the ViBRA16
was in the slot closest to the PCI slots; it was actually in the
slot farther from the PCI slots. Oddly enough, the card is still
interrupting on IRQ5 but everything works great now...Well, for the
most part. Sound doesn't just "skip" any more, but when scping a
file the sound playback slows down a bit/gets a bit "murky."

	I can live with the sound output this way.

Thanks,
Josh