Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2003 09:40:20 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Alexandr Kovalenko <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>
Cc:        Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu>, Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@imgsrc.co.jp>, freebsd-hubs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ftp-master.ua

Alexandr Kovalenko wrote:

> > > We are connected to Ukrainian Internet eXchange point (UA-IX) with
> > > 100Mbit ethernet, so I think it is not a problem.
> > Bandwidth is not the only thing. You can saturate a 100 Mbps Ethernet
> > connection with only one client even with a Pentium, but you won't
> > saturate it when you have to serve 5000 clients :)
>
> Sorry, not native english speaker, what do you mean 'saturate'?
>
> ftp7.ua (which I want to become ftp-master.ua) is Celeron-IV-1,7GHz,
> 256DDR@266, 2x120Gb RAID0. Memory && HDD can be added if needed.

The biggest problem is that on the server side, the rsyncd processes take
between 100MB and 200MB of ram *each*.  You will have trouble supporting
more than one simultanious client mirror using rsync with 256MB of ram.
Memory is a much bigger issue than hard disk speed.

For the archive itself, it currently looks like this:

Filesystem    1K-blocks      Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/twed3s1e 159571424 126758571 20047140    86%    /ftpmaster

In order to bring up a local regional ftp-master mirror, you really should
be in contact with the other ftp*.ua.freebsd.org mirrors and be sure that
they are prepared to get their feed from you.  Also, you should get the
initial mirror contents from one of the local servers if possible so that you
do not have to haul *all* of the 130GB of data from ftp-master from scratch.

Cheers,
-Peter