Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 15:58:37 -0500
From:      "Gary T. Corcoran" <gcorcoran@lucent.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to make a PCI network device loadable module?

I'd like to know how to make the network device driver I'm
working on a loadable module.  It's for a PCI device.  I was
unable to find any examples of PCI network modules under /sys/pci.
The examples under /usr/share/examples/kld are not very helpful
either for a PCI network device.

It appears I need to add an xxx_load() routine, but what should
it do?   How and when does my xxx_probe() routine get called?
How and when does my xxx_attach() routine get called?
What macro do I use to tell the system my driver is a kld?
That is, I was unable to find a "NETDEV_MODULE" macro that might
be equivalent to the "CDEV_MODULE" macro in the example character
device module code...

I'm running FreeBSD 3.4.

I'm not subscribed to the -hackers list, so please copy me on