Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 12:04:50 -0400
From:      "Lanny Baron" <lnb@cybertouch.org>
To:        Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup destruction

Hi Donald,
I just went through that crap today. I use make.conf to cvsup the
defaults in it, only changing one file to stable for 3.1. When I ran
make update in /usr/src and simply did a make depend && make
&& make install for the kernel, I found upon rebooting I now had
FreeBSD 3.2-beta :-(.

Well the joy is that I had the same problem in that there were a ton
of docs shown in lpq. And the same message (is printer offline?).
Well, I looked in the kernel for lpt0. Sure enough, it was not there.
Although it was the day before (must be the FreeBSD daemon pic
that stole it :-). So I opened up LINT. And I copied the following to
my FREEDOM kernel:
device          lpt0    at ppbus?

Then I once again did, make depend && make && make install and
rebooted. Upon reboot,  I noticed lpt0 found as it was rebooting.
From there, re-made /usr/ports/print/apsfilter. I can't say whether or
not you need to re-make apsfilter. I did it just to be sure.

Good luck :-)

Lanny Baron