Date:      Wed, 09 Aug 2000 10:42:44 +0100
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Subject:   Wanted: DEC Alpha Java porters

Dear All,

I have updated my web pages with build instructions for the native FreeBSD
JDK 1.2.2 on DEC Alpha hardware. The build stops because we need some form
of sysInvokeNative() function. On the sparc and i386 this function is
written in assembler. For the Alpha, this function is not available at this
time.

It would be quite cool if someone sat down to write this function in DEC
Alpha assembler. From what I have seen, it does not look all that difficult,
and you'll have a working example in both sparc and i386 assembler. There's
also quite a bit of comment on what it should do, so you're not looking at a
blurp of incomprehensible (what a word) code.

Alternately, it would be nice to have that function in C, which I think
should also be doable. This would be especially nice because it makes future
moves to other hardware much easier (think NetBSD).

It may be too much to ask, but it would great to have both a C version and
DEC assembler version. Ah, if wishes were horses...

My page is at:
     http://web.inter.nl.net/users/kjkoster/java/index.html
If you get HTTP 403 errors, use the mirror, (thanks to Cliff Rowley):
     http://java.onsea.com/java/

Either way, click on "build for DEC Alpha" under "Howto's" and off you go!

    Kees Jan

 TV is the worst  of both  worlds.  It's not  as
 good at words  as radio is because the pictures
 are a distraction  which demand  attention, and
 it's not as good as cinema because the pictures
 are not nearly as good.       [Douglas Adams]