Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2007 23:01:48 +0100
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        Corey Smith <corsmith@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: carp support into GENERIC

--nextPart1919175.1LV22hGIAh

On Monday 29 January 2007 22:21, Corey Smith wrote:
> Please CC: me as I'm not on list.
>
> Please consider adding "device carp" to the GENERIC kernel. We have
> many servers using carp and it increases the complexity of installs
> and (freebsd-update) upgrades when you have to build a custom kernel
> only for this functionality. The kernel size increase is small and the
> benefits are (IMHO) worthwhile.
>
> device carp is not in the GENERIC kernel and (AFAIK) it is very
> difficult to make a module to add this support via kld.  carp is also
> enabled by default in OpenBSD.

The problem with carp lies in the protocol number collision with vrrp.  I=20
won't go into the details of why this is the case, but right now it seems=20
there is no simple sollution to this.  If we are to build carp into=20
GENRIC, we must ensure that it plays nicely with vrrp.  One possible way=20
would be to wrap the packet hooks - #ifdef'ed right now - under a sysctl. =
=20
This is not too much work and seems the easiest way.

The main problem why carp can't easily be made a module is the fact that=20
it has to register itself as an ip protocol in inetsw - which is not=20
really ready for dynamic changes, yet.

=2D-=20