Date:      Thu, 30 Apr 1998 08:10:40 -0700
From:      steve.shoecraft@microchip.com (Steve Shoecraft)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Oracle 7 on FreeBSD

        I am running an Oracle 7 server on my FreeBSD box.  I got it
     running using the SCO (ibcs2) emulation.  It works great when I'm
     logged into the machine locally and run sqlplus (or oci applications).

        The problem arises when I try to use Oracle remotely (like from
     access using an Oracle 7 driver on my PC).  This requires that I have
     a program called 'tnslsnr' running.  I need to have the listener use
     the TCP protocol.  I can't link in the protocol because all of the
     libraries are SCO and all the object files are SCO.  GCC doesn't like
     that a whole lot.

        The libraries aren't a big deal.  I partially re-wrote the ar
     command so that it extracts the objects from the SCO libraries.  I
     then re-create a BSD-format library, ranlib it, and it works great.

        The main problem is the object files.  I have tried to find a way
     to get gcc to link object files to create an executable with no
     results.  I think they are in ELF format.  Is this true (maybe COFF)?
     I don't know a whole lot about SCO...

        Do I have to re-compile gcc for SCO?  Is there a way to compile it
     so that it will accept SCO objects and create BSD binaries (accecpt
     one object file type and create a different a.out type)?

        I would MUCH rather just convert the object files and create BSD
     binaries.  You see, the oracle server and alot of the other binaries
     can be 're-linked' with other options.  The object files (and
     libraries) are all available to do this.  All I have to do is find out
     'how.'

        Can you point me in the right direction?

     - Steve
     Steve.Shoecraft@Microchip.COM