Date:      Wed, 08 Dec 1999 10:10:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Alexey N. Dokuchaev" <danfe@inet.ssc.nsu.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mx0??

On 08-Dec-99 Alexey N. Dokuchaev wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Probably someone could give me comprehensive info on this:
>
> options         FDESC
> options         KERNFS
> options         NULLFS
> options         UMAPFS
> options         PORTAL
> options         UNION
>
> I need as much on this as possible.  I have some ?s already.

portalfs works, but I've no experienec with it.  umapfs doen't work at the
moment because it needs stacking layers to work.

> 1) I thought that these babies will allow me to have approx the same as
> /proc under linux, since PROCFS in FBSD yields me _pathetic_ stuff.
> However, I get /proc/fd dir, with filedescrs (apparently), but there's no
> FDESC option enabled in GENERIC kernel.  Ideas?

/proc is very adequate in doing what its job is:  displaying information
specific to individual processes and not system-wide kernel specific stuff.
The system-wide stuff goes in KERNFS.  Also, I believe that in the Linux 2.3.x
kernel, /proc has been cleaned up with many parts moved over to /kern where
they belong. :)

> 2) KERNFS.  Is it behaviour the same as of procfs?  Meaning, I have
> to have a /proc (/kern) and apporpriate line in /etc/fstab, and I cannot
> mount it after boot?  (are my last 3 questions correct?)

You can mount it fine after boot, in fact, you can umount and mount procfs as
well, there's just no good reason to be doing so.  Here's my line from
/etc/fstab:

kern                    /kern           kernfs  rw              0       0

As far as fdescfs, it is already "mounted" for you at /dev/fd.  If you want,
you can mount it somewhere else as well.  AFAIK, it works fine.